The Dancer

The Dancer
Graceful dead tree up above Deep Canyon.

Sunday, April 22, 2012

The enchanted forest


I've been trying to locate a trail which leads up to an old miner's cabin up in Garner Valley.  Apparently it begins on the road where we had our property 35 years ago!  I've driven to the end of the road several times, but this morning I actually had the energy to go explore it.  So, off I went with my camera, my hat, and my water!  It is at the top of a large wash and I was able to see many animal footprints along the sand there.  Also, a large hawk (I think it was a red-tailed hawk) took off from one of the trees next to the cabin, but I couldn't adjust my lens speed quickly enough to get a decent photo of him...darn!  It snowed up there last weekend and the ground was moist and wet and smelled...WONDERFUL!  I discovered a rock-lined trail which led up to a cabin (which I never knew existed).  It didn't look like anybody was home, but I steered clear of it.  I hiked back about 1/2 mile from the road.  I'll return another time for a better look.  After all, it was my second hike of the morning.  Here are a couple of photos of the trail and cabin.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like lots of fun:) Hey at least you got to see the hawk. I know I know....darn manual lens....I have the same issues....can't focus fast enough:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man O man O man, and I first thought these were going to be pics of that hike of Sunday's wildflower walk up Hamilton -creek to the old cabin off Hwy371.

    I'm not exactly aure where a miner's cabin is in Garner Valley. I do know where the 3 gold mines are that the forestry shut down decades ago. They are on the north side of the valley off of Table Mountain Road as a back way into the pathfinder ranch. When you come to the junction driveways of the old Larry and Patsey Gibson's place and Walter and Sharon Schmidt's places there is a old dirt road that runs in between them and headsup the mountain where the road branches to the right (which may be your cabin where an old apple tree still exists) and to the left to where the old mine road is. You need a big time 4 wheel drive to get up there as rains have washed out most of the road where those miners built that illegal mill foundation where cyanide was going to be used to separate the gold from the ore. The whole thing was in litigation for years.

    Never the less it's pretty country up there and well hidden except by those who know it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a locked gate at the end of Table Mountain Road, then a dirt road that goes up the hill. Is that the road? This was a little side trail that went up along the wash...Yes, it is beautiful up there! I'm glad I saw the hawk. That was a good sign.

    ReplyDelete