COPYRIGHT

Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.

Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Birds in the yard

So, I have REALLY wanted to try to get some nice bird shots of the birds that come visit the feeders in our yard.  I have several different kinds of feeders...seed ones, thistle ones, flat ones (old bottoms to glazed pots), and I've even turned out bird bath into a feeder.  The birds especially love that one!  They NEVER used it as a bird bath and I can't figure out what it wrong with it, since I've seen other bloggers with it...sigh...

Anyway, I attached my camera to my tripod, took a chair, and sat down.  Nothing.  No birds.  They completely stayed away.  And, the Cooper's hawk took a flight through the yard and he/she scared everything off for about 15 minutes.  I didn't even hear it, but every bird in the yard took off, and then I saw it swoop silently through the branches.  Man, can it move!

Next, I took 3 feeders out front, next to the driveway, where I put birdseed on the fence between us and our neighbor.  It took maybe 15 minutes for birds to appear.  I was getting tired of standing, so I came inside the front gate and got a chair for our outdoor table (which is a high table)...It's really a nice table.  I should stop feeding the cats on it, but then the dogs would eat all the cat food...sigh...

Anyway, I sat there on my chair, with my tripod and camera and basically just focused on one hanging bird feeder and clicked away.   Out of 100 photos, I think I got maybe 10 good ones.  Here are a few.  I know I have a LONG way to go, but today was a beginning!   :-)





8 comments:

  1. No, I don't have a laptop yet. I cleaned off a bunch of old photo files and made enough room to upload 2 files of photos. Don't tell hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and a hummingbird is buzzing around our front door. He/she seems very interested in the cobwebs which are hanging down from the porch roof...maybe making a nest? Do hummingbirds make a nest using spider webs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. When your camera is on the tripod, do you manually press the shutter or is it set automatically? ...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe they do use spiderwebs in their nests....their nests are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed your bird pictures. I have some good stills but am having trouble with the in-motion shooting. I shoot through a window and combining that with our dreary dark days, I an having a hard time getting enough light in with a fast shutter speed. It's all practice and experimenting I guess. Your pictures are very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting article about hummingbird nests

    http://birding.about.com/od/birdhouses/a/hummingbirdnests.htm

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was manually pressing the shutter release, although, toward the end, I could anticipate birds' movements and I was actually able to capture them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yeah, I'd say that is a very good beginning. I don't even have a tripod anymore. It's really hard for me to get good bird photos.

    ReplyDelete