I read Al's blog every morning, while I'm drinking my ONE cup of coffee. I've never been a huge coffee drinker, but that one cup is a BIG ONE! HA!
Anyway, Al was talking about hearing classical music over a loud speaker at a nearby school....
http://thebayfieldbunch.com/2014/01/i-think-this-might-have-been-mighty.html
I've often played classical music for my students. We have a story coming up about a young boy whose grandfather played Beethoven for him. As a child, I grew up learning classical music. I was a classically-trained pianist and my piano teacher (who I ADORED) lived next to us and was also my godmother. She had two grand pianos in her living room. I would play on one and she would model how my piece SHOULD sound on the other one. My mother was also a violinist and was first chair for many, many years in the Whittier college orchestra. She used to give violin lessons, but she gave up on me...couldn't stand my squeeking and squawking!
I remember one year when the kids got noisy, I screamed, "If you don't be QUIET, I'm going to put on some opera!" And, I did. I put on Carmen (not the loud pieces...)...
They LOVED it. They often requested, after that, that I "put on the opera"...(shaking head...go figure...)
I did a paper in college about music therapy and I think I'm going to have to find some CD albums with baroque music for this group. Maybe it will settle them down, especially after lunch. I was talking with a colleague who reminded me that this group was the group that sent one teacher OUT on stress leave. My colleague is thinking about doing that, also. I sometimes sit with my fingers in my ears and go to my little "cabin in the woods"...YES, they are THAT LOUD! Friday afternoon they had to sit with their heads down for 10 minutes. They couldn't do it. I counted about 3 minutes that they were actually quiet...sigh...that's just the way they are.
Sometimes I think there was something in the water that year... Photo is of our daughter. She played in the Redlands University symphony orchestra when she was getting her master's degree there.
I once had a teacher who did this. It was my first real exposure to classical music and I've liked it ever since. I think you've got a good tool.
ReplyDelete