COPYRIGHT

Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.

Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more

Monday, January 27, 2014

Drought

I don't know if you saw this article:

http://theguzzler.blogspot.com/2014/01/colorado-river-flow-cut-sharply-across.html

But it's about the drought here in the West and the cuts in delivery of Colorado River water.  I personally don't remember a January and December as dry as this.  Our acacia trees are already blooming!  That's UNHEARD OF in January!!!  And, temps in the 80's?

Thank goodness we don't have a front lawn.  Instead, we have several large trees which shade the yard (and house) during summer.  They also help to keep our air conditioning costs down.  We
 have a 6 foot fence around the front yard so the dogs can go out there and it helps keep "intruders" out.  We are only a block off a major street here in Palm Desert and we HAVE had folks ring our doorbell at midnight until we put up the fence!  NO more trespassers!  I also feel safer with it, especially when the dogs are out front.  That's a pic I took of our cottonwood tree out back.  And, no, I don't give it extra water since it gets water from the neighbor's sprinklers (which they run twice a day!)...sigh...

I also don't have automatic sprinklers.  Instead, I water the trees by hand.  I think (I hope) I'm using less water that way.

Oh, and our back "lawn"...yeah, I haven't watered it all fall and winter.  It's bermuda grass, so it's pretty indestructible.  I just let it go.  I need to mow it sometime...oh, well.

These plants pop up all over the yard.  I caught this hummingbird yesterday at one of them!


4 comments:

  1. It is way too hot for here, also. Totally ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lantana...the little ones love it...and I keep hearing about the drought out your way....:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kind of scary... this has been the warmest winter I can remember. At our Fullerton house, we have automatic sprinklers, but wouldn't be surprised if they are outlawed soon! May have to bring some cactus and succulents from 29 Palms and re-landscape!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting article. Thanks for sharing it with us. We enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete