I was reading up on a raw food diet for cats. I've had cats throughout my 61 years of life. They have always been fed kibble. Mine won't eat anything besides Purina Cat Chow (the blue bag) and an occasional bird. However, now that I'm feeding the dogs a raw diet (and yes, they need more raw food today...sigh...), the cats come running over each and every time I feed the dogs! Hmmm....they especially enjoy the raw chicken!
So, I read up on a raw food diet for cats. Unfortunately, there is NO WAY our kids would come over here and mess with all that for the cats when we would be gone on vacation. Besides, my cats tend to live LONG LIVES and all they get is the Purina. Loki, my white cat, is 17. Our gray cat "Mr. Gray" is of an unknown age (our daughter dropped him off at our house when one of her students moved several years ago). Abby is now 5, but she stays indoors. She always hops on my lap when I eat dinner and I always give her a little sample of my chicken or lamb or whatever I'm eating. She's content with that!
I think for now, at least, I'll just leave things as they are. The cats seem happy and well fed and why mess with that?
I think it's a lot more work for cats, because they are pure carnivores. We are also gone a lot and wouldn't want to put our kids through all that as well. Our cats live pretty long lives also, but two of the four we have now, have allergies. I don't know what it is, but that website sure makes you think about it, right? One of our cats is diabetic (he has to travel with us) and after reading that entire website, it made me think that maybe it's foolish to feed him any dry food at all, because of the carbs in them. Then a vet told me that carbs don't turn into sugar in cats like they do in humans. I don't know which "expert" to belive!
ReplyDelete