COPYRIGHT

Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.

Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more

Monday, January 6, 2014

The horses got a trim yesterday and Lucille got new shoes!

I got an email from the ranch owner that the shoer was up at the ranch yesterday morning.  Sunday morning?  Hmmm...So, I skedaddled, fed the dogs, got gas, and up the mountain road I went.  I was there by 9:30 a.m.  He did 7 of hers and only 3 of mine.  Two didn't need trims:  Scout and Gigondas.  Quad and Sunni, my two geldings did.  Sunni, being part draft, has BIG OLE FEET and he constantly needs a trim.  And, Lucille wears shoes on her front two feet, so she needed a trim and new shoes.  THERE!  All done!   I love this farrier.  He does thoroughbreds down at San Luis Rey and he is VERY patient with all the horses.  I had one guy out one time (my cousin recommended him) and the horses all did okay until it was Sunni's turn.  This guy had been a former judge at some horse events and he wanted Sunni to "HO!"...he dragged him around the corral, yelled at him, jerked on his lead rope until I finally said, "OK, he's had ENOUGH!" and asked him to leave.  What a jerk.  The first time Cathy's farrier came, he sang to Sunni, he walked very slowly, he stroked his head, and Sunni relaxed.  WHAT A CONCEPT!  I've loved him ever since.  Sunni stood absolutely still for him yesterday...didn't move once.  He's trimmed all my horses now for a few years and they all love him and trust him, especially Sunni, and that's a big thing.  Sunni usually doesn't like men.  But, Cathy (the ranch owner) says he loves her husband...go figure!  And, that's a good thing, too.  It means Sunni trusts other people.  Anyway, with my computer down, I took only a couple of photos using my cell phone.  For some reason, they always come out too blue...I'll need to look at the settings.  I have to return this morning for the horses' lesson as my trainer now comes up on Mondays.  That, too, is a good thing because I have a Monday holiday in January and two in February, so I can be there for their lesson!  :-)

I always love to peek inside his truck and that's Lucille getting her new shoes.

1 comment:

  1. I would think that they would really try to not stress a horse out. After all, a kick can do a lot damage.

    ReplyDelete