COPYRIGHT

Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.

Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more

Friday, January 24, 2014

Old man cottonwood

There's a huge cottonwood tree on the Cahuilla Indian Reservation.  It's up in their oak forest, standing tall.  I often stop throughout the seasons to take a photo of it, but now the turnouts say, "For EMERGENCY only."  Hmmm...I'm not sure what that is all about!  Anyway, there are a couple other cottonwood trees next to it and behind it, but they aren't as tall or as majestic as this one.  I often see hawks in one of the other trees, but I rarely see them in this particular cottonwood.  In fact, as I drove off Monday morning, yup...I spotted a nice, fat hawk in the other tree!

1 comment:

  1. That Cottonwood also survived a large Fire one hot August day (Rez Fire) which burnt part way up Lookout Mountain to the west of that Cottonwood Tree. You notice also some of the skeleton branches within the older Live Oaks around there as well.

    I remember being at the foot of Burnt Valley Road at someone's house and looking back up at that angle at the giant plume of smoke and thinking it must have been headed towards my house. Got home and it was all on the east side of Lookout Mountain. *whew*

    But before you posted this, I already knew it was your favourite.


    -

    ReplyDelete