COPYRIGHT

Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.

Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Are YOU quiet?

Once again, Al over at Travel with the Bayfield Bunch, has provided me with a topic for discussion!  (Thank you, Al!)  He is currently reading Quiet, by Susan Cain.
http://thebayfieldbunch.com/2015/01/almost-had-myself-day-with-nothing-to.html

This is THE book to read if you are an introvert, like Al and myself!  And, many others out there, apparently.

I get my quietness from my dad.  He NEVER liked crowds and avoided them at all costs.  He preferred to stay home and listen to his stereo and his recordings of South Pacific and Oklahoma.  (Yes, I know them by heart!).  He had a "man cave" before they were popular.  And, being an accountant, he preferred numbers over people!  I almost didn't come into this world because he was also a stutterer.  And, he stuttered BADLY.  I remember, as a kid, I used to finish words and sentences for him and he would lightly slap my hand and glare at me.  I thought I was helping him.  Apparently I was annoying him.   Ahhhh....the hindsight of an adult, right?

Anyway, I uploaded the book to my iPad and I am now engrossed in it.  Little did I know that Chopin was an introvert!  I played many of his pieces as a child, playing the piano!  And Einstein...Well, I kinda figured that out by myself!  I mean, he obviously didn't like crowds!

So far the book has explained my near phobic feeling of panic in large crowds.  I USED to go to the Riverside County Fair down in Indio.  Now, I don't even bother.  I worked 7 months in downtown Los Angeles until I came back to our desert home and announced one weekend, "I can't go back there."  I worked on the 28th floor of a 40 story building and there were just too many drivers, too many people in elevators, and too many people on the ground.  We had kept our desert home here and would "escape" back here on weekends until I got to the point I couldn't go back.

So, thank you, Al, for pointing out this book to those of us who need it!

If you would like to order a copy, here's the Amazon address for it:
http://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Power-Introverts-World-Talking/dp/0307352153/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1422101358&sr=1-1&keywords=quiet&pebp=1422101418960&peasin=307352153

I just used my iPad and went to the iBooks store and typed in the name.  The author is Susan CAIN and the full title is:  

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking 


Please let me know, if you read it, your thoughts.  Like I said, I wish I'd had this book 40 years ago!  I'm going to ask my husband to read it, since he is NOT an introvert.  Maybe it will help him understand WHY I need my "alone" and "quiet" times?


No comments:

Post a Comment