COPYRIGHT

Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.

Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more

Saturday, January 3, 2015

Living Desert Part 3 ~~I meet a kestrel

As a member, I can enter the park after 8:00 a.m. and I'm an early riser, so I was there pretty early.  We'd had a frost here in town that morning, so I layered and off I went with only my camera and wallet.  It was pretty cold in the shady areas, but, like a roadrunner, I stayed in the sun to warm up!  I even spread out my arms a couple of times to let the sun's rays warm me!  I didn't see any roadrunners, but I scared off a couple of rabbits!

I also had a near-close encounter with a hawk.  I was walking through the butterfly garden, when suddenly....WHOOSH! It made a dive bomb and swooshed so close to my head that the hairs on my head actually raised up!  He didn't hit me, but it was a CLOSE CALL!  I only saw a dark-colored hawk (no white).  It looked gray underneath, so it wasn't a Cooper's hawk.  I have no idea what it was and it flew into a nearby palm tree.  Maybe a Harris hawk, although they are brown, not gray.  It was a fairly large hawk, too...definitely NOT something as small as a Kestrel.

Speaking of Kestrels, this little guy was out with his handler as I walked back toward the cafe and gift shop.  We USED to have Kestrels in our neighborhood, but, with the arrival of the Cooper's hawks, they have disappeared.  That's sad because I used to love to hear their little cries in the mornings.

I talked to the little hawk's handler for a while and found out his name is "Cujo".  He is an injured bird and will NOT ever be released back into the wild.  He is a beautiful little thing, don't you think? She told me one morning she had him out when a Cooper's hawk swooshed down toward Cujo!  Only her quick actions saved the little guy!  Talk about scary!!!  Isn't he adorable?






I

2 comments: