I DID IT! I climbed the stairs to see the Valley of Fire petroglyphs. And, I would like to add, it was PURELY a case of mind over matter. I woke up yesterday morning with my left leg feeling the worst it has ever been. I could barely put pressure on it. I hobbled around the hotel room. Hubby rolled his eyes, but you have NO IDEA how painful it was...
So, I downed 2 ADVIL and waited. About 30 minutes later, I was able to walk. Good thing, too, because I really wanted to see the Indian petroglyphs at Valley of Fire.
As I stood at the bottom of the stairs, a "youngster" of about 35 RAN the entire way up! And, he took 3 or 4 photos, then jogged down. Well, I wasn't about to let some young whippersnapper outdo me, so up I went. My knees were screaming the entire time, but I was determined to climb those stairs. (I think there were about 90 of them...I know I counted to 30 at least twice and there were some stairs I didn't count.)
I'm glad I pushed myself to do this. They were incredible! :-)
These are the stairs.
This is the young whippersnapper.
Hubby is the guy with the blueish/gray shirt and shorts. He made it all the way up and his knees were screaming, too. In fact, he got "wobbly" at the visitor center and had to go sit in the car.
In fact of the climb, I'm glad we both made it up to the top. It's been a while since we've seen petroglyphs...I think 2011 was the last time.
Thank you for the petroglyph photos. It is great that you made the climb. Walking stairs is always hard on the legs. I wonder how the Indians got up there to etch them.
ReplyDeleteA magnificent panel of petroglyphs. Better steps than people climbing all over, but not so great for the knees.
ReplyDeleteGood on you!! I know what you mean when you say 'mind over matter' and I'm so glad it was worth it to get these awesome shots!
ReplyDelete