COPYRIGHT

Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.

Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more

Thursday, April 23, 2015

We got RAIN this afternoon!

By late afternoon today, the sky in the south was cloudy and dark.  I couldn't WAIT for the school day to end and I dashed to my car as soon as the kids left.  I drove home, ran inside, and grabbed my two cameras.  I took my Nikon with me (my backup camera) in case the Canon froze again, but it worked just fine!  I heard thunder over the house and it was sprinkling at home, but up on Deep Canyon and the mountains, it was POURING!  So, of course, off I went!

There was water running across the road and several small rock slides.  There were big rocks in several locations and one even had a rock slide with a plant!  It wasn't until I turned around to drive back down the mountain that a California Highway Patrol officer was stopping and HAND MOVING rocks from the roadway!  Where is CalTrans when ya need them?  Gosh, I felt sorry for the fellow that was trying to do it by hand!

The temperature really dropped as I climbed the mountain road and I heard on the news that there was hail in Pinyon!

Hubby and I went to Whole Foods for an early dinner this afternoon and I looked up and saw SNOW on the mountains!  YES!  Snow in April!  I took a look at the Toro Peak Webcam and yup...there it was!

It was getting so dark on the mountain that I turned around and drove home.  I'm glad I made the trip.  It really refreshed me!

 Looking down into the end of Deep Canyon, toward Palm Desert.
 LOTS of rain coming down!
 Looking up toward Toro Peak and the webcams.
 Again, looking down Deep Canyon into Palm Desert.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the trip and made it safely with all the fallen rocks!!!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was WONDERFUL to be up in the rain! I'm so glad that the mountains and some parts of the desert got it yesterday!
    Cheryl Ann

    ReplyDelete