Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Monday, December 20, 2010

A different view of Deep Canyon~the coming storm~That's My World 122010







The first of several storm fronts moved through our local mountains and the desert this past weekend. And, of course, I had to drive right through it so that I could stop and check on my horses and give them an extra high-calorie meal! I had no idea what I would find as I drove up the mountain from the desert floor. I did notice clouds hanging around the mountains and filling up Deep Canyon. As I drove up the mountain road, I saw them rising up the sides of the canyon, like cotton. I frantically searched for a turnout (there are VERY FEW on this road) and I finally found one going the opposite direction, so I made a U-turn and parked. I stood in awe at the scene before me. Clouds were rising up from the bottom of the canyon and were tossed around by the wind. I saw several other motorists stop, too, and people hopped out to take pics and then retreated to the safety and warmth of their cars (it was extremely windy and cold outside!) I parked and walked down a small trail and tried to get as close to the edge of the canyon as I could, but it immediately started POURING and I didn't have my waterproof jacket. Plus, as I mentioned above, the wind was blowing and it was very cold! I'm glad I had the opportunity to see these clouds. While it was cloudy again today, and I drove the same road, I did not see the same phenomenom. That's My World for Tuesday, December 20, 2010.


5 comments:

  1. Fantastic captures! It does look stormy and very dramatic! Wishing you a great week and a very Merry Christmas!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful My World Tuesday posting

    Merry Christmas and have a nice week,
    Greetings, Bram

    Link to My Word Tuesday post!

    Seen on My World Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. i thought it's steam or fog coming out from a volcano or a river down below. clouds...wow. amazing shots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drama rolling in - great shots - thank you for getting chilly and wind-blown to share this!

    ReplyDelete