Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014

Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014
This big guy crossed the highway, October 2014.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

I have so much to learn...Nature Notes 121610







I have so much to learn about the flora and fauna of our local mountains! These are the pinyon forests above the desert, but below the pine forests at the top of the mountains. I drive through the pinyons every time I go to visit my horses and many times now I stop to listen and learn from them. I'm also finding that I NEED this time to explore the canyon and its secrets. I feel "out of sorts" if I don't! I now recognize the juniper bush, which currently has blue berries on it. The pinyons are full of tiny pine cones and they whisper in the wind. I love to hear them on a windy day! I love to watch the antics of the blue jays! But, with beauty, there is also danger. I heard the rattle of a rattlesnake last weekend and so I backtracked. Also, I found the mountain lion tracks in the mud. (see: http://rav4adventures.blogspot.com/2010/12/possible-mountain-lion-sighting-oh-myy.html) Alas, with beauty also comes danger, so I must learn to be more careful while exploring this unique environment. My Christmas break starts at 12:31 p.m. Friday and since hubby is home for two weeks, I'll be taking him with me to do more exploring! Nature Notes for December 16, 2010. For other participants, please visit: http://ramblingwoods.com/
~~Cheryl Ann~~














4 comments:

  1. Hi Cheryl Ann (by the way, our youngest daughter is named Cheryl Lynn))...

    But what I wanted to say is that these beautiful photos remind me a lot of the terrain in Colorado where our oldest daughter lives.

    She lives at 9,000 feet so what few rattlers there are become quite lethargic at that height. Mountain lions are there, but she hasn't seen any. She has had a mama bear and two cubs come into her garage and tear the place apart, though.

    I really appreciate your delight in learning new things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful Nature Notes post and what I had hoped people would do. I too need some nature and love to explore, but I don't have to deal with the more dangerous aspects of exploring....Thank you for posting to Nature Notes Cheryl Ann... from a fellow teacher.. Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful and interesting part of the world. Great shot. Wow, mountain lions. I've seen bears in the wild but I think mountain lions would be scarier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very lovely. We have a preserve behind our house, sometimes swampy and sometimes just filled with brush between the trees but the deer come out occasionally and I know there are snakes in there. So, to avoid that and any other creepy crawler, I have to stay out.

    ReplyDelete