Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Saturday, December 18, 2010

I want to get OUT of the house today!!!

I was stuck at home yesterday with my latest bout of bronchitis. I missed the last day of school (a half day) before Christmas vacation and I'm hoping that my colleague told my students that I miss them and that I'll see them in January. It's hard being a teacher, especially when you've had pneumonia three times and now I get EVERY bug that they bring through the door! Here it is only December and I've already used 6 out of my 10 sick days! ACK! I called my doctor's office yesterday and she's out of town until the 28th, so if I am WELL by then, I'm going to ask for the pneumonia shot, which I hear also cuts down on bronchitis. This is the 3rd round of bronchitis I've had since September!!! I've already had two z-packs (antibiotics), so I won't be given any more of that and that's the one that seems to knock it out. But, now I'm wondering...does it really? I mean, if I've had two z-packs and now I have bronchitis again...what's the use of taking antibiotics? And, isn't bronchitis a VIRAL thing? So, this time, I'm taking my cough syrup in the daytime and NyQuil at night, to help me sleep and I'm drinking Kefir during the day to boost my immune system. I'm hoping I'll get better in a couple of days (before Monday, when hubby is going to INSIST that I get in to see a doctor!)...any ideas/suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. It's hard to know if something is viral or bacterial in my experience and different antibiotics may be used for different infections. I am really careful after having a very serious case of pneumonia and did get the pneumonia vaccine. I would consider seeing a pulmonologist to see if there is some allergy, asthma or something else going on..as in my case anyway..I am sorry that you are sick again... hugs..Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is Bronchitis?

    Bronchitis is a disorder characterized by inflammation of the bronchi or air passages that transport air from the trachea to the lungs. Inflammation of the bronchi leads to the accumulation of mucus, which causes the blocking of the bronchial cells. The body then takes refuge in the cough mechanism to get rid of the accumulated mucus. Unfortunately, cough, while it gets rid of excess mucus, also makes the air passages more susceptible to infection. Moreover, if the infection continues, the tissues of the bronchi might get damaged.

    Types of bronchitis

    Basically, there are two types of bronchitis--acute and chronic bronchitis.

    Acute bronchitis is a short-term condition accompanied by a bad flu or a cold. It can keep you in a miserable condition for around two weeks. In certain cases, viral bronchitis can last for 8-12 weeks.

    Chronic bronchitis is a long-term condition that can last anywhere from three weeks to two years. It always comes with a danger of relapse. In severe cases of chronic bronchitis, the bronchi get dilated, and this makes the patient more vulnerable to all types of infection. Due to its life-threatening nature, it should be taken seriously, and proper medical care should be taken to keep it in check.

    Causes and Treatment of Bronchitis

    Around ninety percent of the people contract acute bronchitis due to viral infection. Many cases are also caused due to bacterial infection. If you contract acute bronchitis many times, you might contract chronic bronchitis sooner or later. Infection need not always be the cause for acute bronchitis. If you live in a dirty, polluted area or if you a heavy smoker, you stand a greater risk of contracting chronic bronchitis.

    If the condition is due to viral infection, polluted conditions, or heavy smoking, it is of no use taking antibiotics because they can do nothing to eliminate irritants or viruses. Antibiotics are useful only in case of bacterial infection.

    ReplyDelete