Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Fog and mist~Scenic Sunday 121910, SOOC Sunday







So, today I headed up the road by Deep Canyon to visit my horses and make sure they were all okay. They were fine...wet, but fine. It had rained all up and down the mountain, the beginning of our 5 day forecast of rain for the next week. Along the way, I saw something that I haven't seen in a long time...mist and clouds along Deep Canyon. It's always unusual here in the desert when we get clouds like these and these were definitely tropical moisture. It wasn't that cold. It was very windy along highway 74. I glanced off to my left, on the way up, and spotted the clouds which were uplifting along Deep Canyon. I pulled over several times to stop and take these photos and I noticed that other motorists were doing so also. It was good to get out (see yesterday's post), but my bronchitis is still with me and so I took my Ny Quil as soon as I got home and slept for nearly 3 hours!!! Scenic Sunday for December 19, 2010 and Straight Out of the Camera Sunday.
To visit SOOC, please visit: http://www.murrieta365.com/ To visit Scenic Sunday, please visit: http://scenicsunday.blogspot.com/ Something I should mention: There are NO roads down into Deep Canyon. The nearest thing near the bottom of it is the Desert Bighorn Institute, run by UC Riverside and it is on private land. I have tried to get a tour there and they do NOT allow visitors! It also is IMPOSSIBLE to hike down into the canyon from Highway 74, unless you start up at the SugarLoaf Cafe and work your way down a very strenuous trail, which I am not physically able to do! So, all of my photos I have to take at an overlook on Highway 74 (and, there are VERY few) and then look down into the canyon. I think I need a bigger lens for Christmas! Oh, hubby.....!!!! So, that explains part of my fascination with Deep Canyon...it is nearly inaccessible and it is shrouded in mystery!


6 comments:

  1. Love these shots. I guess you haven't gotten our rain. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is just awesome! we just watched 127 hours the movie...and this reminds me of this...although now i'm a bit afraid to go ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautifully presented post.
    Such a different life you lead: all wild country around and mountains unlike any we have here. And such a commitment to the horses entrusted to your care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shot of such quiet calm beauty. I can see your fascination with the canyon. Hope your feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful shot... Happy SOOC Sunday.

    ReplyDelete