The Dancer

The Dancer
Graceful dead tree up above Deep Canyon.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Possible mountain lion sighting!!! Oh, my!







Yup. Possible mountain lion sighting, but this is down in the desert. There are bighorn sheep in the mountains above Rancho Mirage and they do come down to nibble on the plants at the Ritz Resort in Rancho Mirage. I'll have to watch for updates. By the way, I went back and investigated the tracks I found in the mud two weeks ago and measured them. They were 3 1/2 inches long and 4 inches wide. Here are the pics that I took of them. With rain forecast this next weekend, I wanted to document them before then, so I went back Saturday afternoon. I highly doubt it is the same mountain lion, since there are others up in our mountains. Here's the link to the local news story:
http://www.kpsplocal2.com/news/local/story/mountain-lion-sighting-rancho-mirage-big-cat-kpsp/LjLvmUlyXkyzs3dpjHVcuQ.cspx?rss=2276 One read wrote in that it is not uncommon for him to see mountain lions, bobcats, and desert bighorn sheep on the ridges of the mountains above Rancho Mirage.

1 comment:

  1. UPDATE May, 2012
    Okay...I've studied mountain lion tracks and dog tracks and I'm pretty sure now that this IS a dog track. First of all, you can see the claw marks. Second, the paw print (toes) are pretty close together. Third, there is no leading toe, like in a mountain lion print...Ahhhh...well, back to the mountains I go to find a REAL mountain lion print! Here's a website with wonderful information and which really helped me: http://www.bear-tracker.com/caninevsfeline.html

    ReplyDelete