The Dancer

The Dancer
Graceful dead tree up above Deep Canyon.

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Just catching up!


I headed up the hill yesterday because I wanted to drive up to the horse boarding ranch and give my herd an extra meal.  It was 18 degrees up there Friday morning, their water troughs were frozen over, and it was windy.  First, however, I headed out to Thousand Palms Canyon Road to take some photos of the wash over there.  I haven't been out that way for some time!  I get so darned busy with everything...sigh... I came home, ate lunch, took a short nap, and headed up toward Santa Rosa mountain.  I was anxious to see how much snow they got up in Pinyon.  What?  What's this FROZEN white stuff?  It was HAIL.  Lots of hail was still on the ground yesterday afternoon!  I didn't see any snow, except at the higher elevations, but there was hail everywhere!

3 comments:

  1. The bottom foreground hills on that mountain at one time not that long ago had forest cover as you see in the background higher elevations.

    I've got a post I've been working on dealing with that. I've been telling folks for years about this as I found remnants of forest there and down below around below Spring Crest and Hwy 74, but no one ever took me serious. Now I have scientific studies which have come out this year proving that and showing it was human activity and not so much as climate change that caused this. Should be fun. Especially when I photograph the stumps after some extensive Bushwacking in no man's land. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those little hail balls can do so much damage in civilization!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got hail up at our place too. Thanks for the welcome to Indio/Thermal/Palm Desert. We about froze at the show today but the view out to the mountains was gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete