Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014

Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014
This big guy crossed the highway, October 2014.

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Three day weekend! :-)


I have a three day weekend this weekend and then two more in February.  Then, spring break at the end of March, and then about April 1st, our first granddaughter is due!  "Time flies" when you are having fun, right? I prefer, "Time's fun when you're having flies!"...but that's another story!  I am just so GLAD to have three days off.  The kidlets at school wore me out yesterday after I took them out for PE.  The girls played jump rope and the boys went off to play some kind of tag and pretty soon I only had about 4 kids with me!  It's difficult for me to go after them because of my legs and back.  And, I have to keep one eye on each group of them, so I need about 6 more eyes!  :-(  Eight year olds wear me out!  But, you know, they worked hard ALL WEEK and Friday afternoons are...well, they are Friday afternoons.  I'm tired, they are tired of me, a long weekend is coming...so outdoors we went!  I like to walk around our field with them and they love to "walk and talk" with me!  The fields around my school are growing carrots (the land for our school was donated by a large grower).  The sprinklers were on yesterday afternoon and we saw mini-rainbows!  The carrots are nearly ready to be harvested and I wonder how many of my parents will be out there doing the work.  Please, people...don't be critical of farmworkers.  These people work very hard.  Our vice principal told us about the time she went to go help her mother and father work in the fields.  She lasted about 30 minutes!  I couldn't do it...could you?  That day made her decide to finish her college education and become a teacher.  We're supposed to be getting our kids ready for the common core standards and I've been through training on the new standards, which include open ended questions that the students will answer online.  I'm excited about this because right now, they just guess on the multiple choice questions. And, we are supposed to promote a college education.  I went to UC Riverside, which is only 60 miles away, so I've been sharing some of my college experiences (the good ones, not the painful ones).  Some actually do quite well, but when a kid only gets 18% correct, you know they are guessing.  I always debrief them on our practice tests to see what areas I need to cover again.  Apparently, EVERYTHING needs to be recovered! (...pulling out hair...)  Okay...I'm done with my rant.  Enjoy your weekend!  Photos are of artichokes growing down in Indio, CA.  I'm heading up the mountain today to the Anza swap meet.  Hopefully I'll find some good deals there.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how you keep up with 8-year olds. Hats off to you. Enjoy this 3-day weekend.

    ReplyDelete