I dedicate this blog to my father, who first put a camera in my hands when I was 12 and who took me to many of the places that I love today.
COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.
Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more
Sunday, October 7, 2012
Farmland
This is for Timeless...this is on the corner of Kirby Road and 371. Those huge fields have all now been cleared and some big agricultural conglomerate has taken over. I think they are growing lettuce right now. They always seem to be growing something on these fields. I enjoy stopped to view them and snap a few photos! I'll be driving up there today to buy some pellets for the horses (their noon snack)...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Actually the only agricultural giant up there is Agri-Empire based in San Jacinto which is owned by the Minor family and their specialty is growing Red or White Rose Potatoes. It takes a lot of water to grow those.
ReplyDeleteNo. Actually there is a new one...I forget the name. They took over the old Anza realty office on the corner of 371 and Kirby. THEY have acreage all over Anza now and they are the ones cultivating this acreage. Bronht? Bront? I'll have to look next time I go up there. According to the ranch owner, THEY got an exemption to use ALL the water they want from the Cahuilla Indians. I looked today and they were using so much water that it was running down the street.
ReplyDeleteWow, you know what is incredible, is that the Cahuilla Indians up there sued every single property owner for using water just a few years back. In fact there is a website on that somewhere. This happened after I left and I haven't been able to get any info about how all that mess turned out. I posted something about it over on the Mountain Communities Meet-ups board, but no one has yet to respond.
ReplyDeleteWonder what dirty deals have gone on behind the scenes for all of this to have happened ?
Hmmm, guess I'll just have to call someone and ask.
-
Dirty deals? Ya' think???? Remember, money talks. I went to UC Riverside as a political science major, also have a MA degree in poly sci...Ron Loveridge was my husband's advisor. He's now mayor of Riverside...
ReplyDeleteYes, there is a lawsuit...land owners vs. the Indians. Indians are claiming that they are entitled to ALL water rights in the valley. I know the ranch owner is very upset over this as she has over 20 horses on the ranch and the water table is going DOWN, down, down. Fortunately, her well is deeper than most of her neighbors. THEIR wells have had to be redrilled...$$$ and they dried up last year...THANK GOODNESS we don't have to deal with all that here in Palm Desert! Yes, you could probably look this up on the Press Enterprise (www.pe.com). They have (or had) a pretty good set of archives.
The Coachella Valley has those percolation ponds to the north & west of the city of Palm Springs where water from the Colorado River Aqueduct is released into Whitewater canyon and flows past Windy Point and into those ponds. Without that your entire valley would be up dry creek so to speak. With the Colorado River receiving less and less snow melt from the Rockies, things are getting serious.
ReplyDelete-