The Dancer

The Dancer
Graceful dead tree up above Deep Canyon.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Spring Crest





Spring Crest is a small community of houses which is halfway between Palm Desert and the 371 turnoff to San Diego, which is near Garner Valley.  I pass by Spring Crest every weekend.  I love to watch it change during the seasons.  They do get snow in winter.  It's usually not a lot, but the houses are dotted with it sometimes.  I can't wait to see this area this winter.  They have a spectacular view of the end of the Palm Springs Indian Canyons and Palm Canyon Drive is actually close by.  Unfortunately, it's a dirt road that somebody carved out of OOPS!  private land (in some places), so it doesn't actually get used much.  I remember there were lawsuits when the guy was bulldozing it and I've never actually driven down it the entire way and I don't even know if it goes through to Palm Springs.  There is, however, a Palm Canyon Drive up in this area and there are mailboxes on it, so it does get used at the mountain end.  Spring Crest used to have a gas station, but it is long abandoned.  There are some nice houses up here and maybe next weekend I'll take a few photos, but here are a few from last weekend.

4 comments:

  1. Pinyon Flats Palm Canyon Road use to be effectionately called the "Mike Dunn" road. Mike owned property halfway down that road. It was a huge flat to rolling piece of private land that cannot be seen from either Palm springs nor from Pinyon Flats above. Mike is ling dead now, but his legacy lives on. He use to own the water system up on Table Mountain in Anza and the old Dunn Ranch which was 750 acres and sold to Agri-Empire to cover his legal fees.

    The Dunn Road


    Have you ever seen Red Skelton's old A-Framed house on the top of Spring Crest when you drive up there ? Driving straight after the old Gas Station turn off you can also make your first right turn down up that road then down and around to the end where there is a bigger Ranch Style house he built.

    He and his wife Lothian purchased that 660 acre Burnt Valley Ranch you can see from Hwy 371 or turn left on burnt Valley Road and drive past it. There are no longer horse, but i imagine Lothian lives in that lonely old house at the far back of the ranch. I looked the ranch up on Satellite photo a couple months back and noticed the main ranch house and barns in the front looked vacant, but the house way at the back of the property looked like her old truck was there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Places like San Diego and Palm Springs are places I'll never see in person, so I thank you for bringing me!!..:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't believe his wife lives on the Burnt Road property anymore. Sometimes I drive by it. As a horse rescuer myself, I wonder why that beautiful ranch is EMPTY. A LOT of horses could be on that ranch, especially rescues. Seems like such a waste... There does appear to be a caretaker on it, but the weeds are growing where horses should be...sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'll have to check out the A-frame, although I think it is the one in the second to the bottom photo...???Yes? No?

    ReplyDelete