Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Near Hamilton Creek




Sometimes the early morning light hits the canyon near Hamilton Creek just right and I'll pull over to take some photos, like last weekend.  I have to drive through here again this morning because my vet is coming today to give the horses their shots.  I always enjoy driving through the canyon because it's very peaceful.

2 comments:

  1. There are a number of things I'd like to document when I come back in April thru July. One is the incredible survivability of those pines on what clearly is less that perfect garden soils as the pictures illustrate. Sadly, the pines use to be as far down as the open mouth of that canyon, but over twenty five years I was there I watched them die back further up the canyon.

    The Fungus Pisolithus tinctoius (The Dog Turd Fungus) I use to collect up there in this very canyon after winter in spring, but especially after the first monsoon thunderstorms which trigger it's growth and truffle formation. There are many indications that this creek had a different route and water flow was heavier, though I can't point them out from here. AAt the mouth of that canyon where the creek opens up into a giant Alluvial Fan of flood plain soil you can see where at one time it use to veer to the far left as indicated by the dip in Hwy 371 and the two Love Oak trees whose seed for germination no doubt came out of that canyon from the Interior Live Oak parents along the canyon walls. That whole end of the valley floor at one time was itself a giant forest but was cut down and burned to allow grasses to take their place for raising cattle.

    Early pioneers did alot of dump things and their far more educated descendants haven't learned much either.

    Nice pics, like seeing an old friend.


    -

    ReplyDelete