COPYRIGHT

Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.

Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Oak forest




Way up on Highway 74, there is a stretch of road which goes through Cahuilla Indian land and is an oak forest.  Sometimes I'll just pull off in one of the turnouts and sit and listen to the scrub jays or hawks.  I love this area!  It is very peaceful.  I once saw a turkey vulture high up in one of the oak trees.  I spotted its red head and zoomed in on it.  Yup.  It was a vulture!  Doesn't it look restful?

2 comments:

  1. That looks like Santa Rosa Indian Reservation. Back in the El Nino period of 1980 thru 1986 I remember how rich and green those areas were even in the Summertime.

    My wife and I use to collect Acorns from the Interior Live Oak trees there and leach the tannins from them, grind up the meal and freeze it until we needed it. Mixing the Acorn meal with Bisquick Pancake mix was my flavourite. Gave pancakes a sweet nutty taste.

    There is one resident who lived in that one Mobile Home right there on the Hwy 74. When I first visited them the wife told us how to prepare the acorns. Her husband was Mexican and didn't like the Acorn mash. I remember his name was Ruben, but i forget her name as it has been so long now. She also told me about the flavours of Yucca blooms and the fresh young seed pods.


    -

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks and IS restful...I love to find places like this!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete