Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Cottonwood Springs and BLM land






I've been lurking following a few RV websites where people boondock.  It really it quite interesting and, for a longer like me, (and hubby), this would seem to be ideal.  Yeah, except we are both currently working and we have two LARGE dogs and 2 cats...sigh...maybe when we retire.  Anyway, we headed out to the eastern entrance of Joshua Tree national park yesterday morning and I was eager to see how many boondockers were out there.  I only saw two trailers.  I know the land outside the park is BLM land and there was a sign for a campground, but we didn't take that road, so I really don't know how many trailers were in the campground.  But, like I said, I did see two campers parked off road, on well-used dirt roads outside the park.  It really is a gorgeous area with plenty of ocotillos.  I stopped at one point and took a short walk out into the desert.  I always enjoy looking at the animal prints in the sandy washes!  We made it to the Cottonwood Springs visitor center/weather station/ranger station and showed the rangers hubby's Golden Age passport (thank goodness I brought him along)!  It was a BEAUTIFUL day, with high clouds.  I almost spent more time taking photos of the clouds than the scenery!!!

1 comment:

  1. First off, I enlarged all of these photos and they are VERY nice! That big, bold, blue sky is amazing!

    We just got back from Yuma and while there we went to Quartzsite. There was at least a thousand RV's boondocking in the desert there. Heck, there might have been two thousand!

    ReplyDelete