Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Monday, February 4, 2013

Looking out from the Santa Rosa mountains visitor center~Our World Tuesday~020513



I don't often take photos looking out this direction, which is southwest of Deep Canyon.  Actually, it's from the parking lot of the Santa Rosa mountain visitor's center.  The green sign states that the elevation there is 1,000 feet and from that point, the road climbs to over 5,000 feet in no time at all!  It leads up through the pinyon forests and then up to Garner Valley, where you can see tall pines and open meadows.  And, on a good day, you can hear or see a red-tailed hawk.  This is one of the things I love about our desert...in 10 minutes, you can drive and be at 4,000 feet in a pinyon forest.  Or, you can drive the other direction, to the north, and be in Joshua Tree National Park in an hour.  But, for now, in winter, the desert has a lot to offer!  Our World Tuesday for February 5, 2013.   To visit OWT, please go to:   http://ourworldtuesdaymeme.blogspot.com/

8 comments:

  1. I love pictures of the desert and I love being there.

    When I use to travel with my husband I always got excited when we would get to head west.

    Your photos are wonderful. Those blue skies are marvelous!

    Happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blue blue skies and endless scenery - how lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks a beautiful place for tking a hike especially as it's not so hot at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm a stranger to deserts, it looks inhospitable to me, scary even.:p your photos bring back scenes from western movies i've seen.:p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miranda, don't worry...big cities scare me...Too much crime! I'll stick to the desert, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you! I love the desert, especially in the winter. We just got back from the Yuma. and Quartzsite areas and are headed to the river in a week.

    ReplyDelete