Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Golden eagle~Wild Bird Wednesday~020613





There are several golden eagles in Anza, as I've mentioned before.  I occasionally spot them on telephone poles which are alongside a huge open field.  I often travel that road with my camera and I knew I'd found one early one morning when I saw a large "bump" on one of the poles.  Yup...an eagle.  I often spot hawks on these same poles and on this morning, the eagle went sailing off, only to be assaulted by a smaller hawk.  I watched them, but couldn't adjust my camera settings quickly enough to get photos of their encounter.  Let's just say that the smaller hawk won that battle.  The eagle went the other direction and disappeared.  So, the larger bird doesn't always win!  I enjoy seeing Anza's eagles and I'm hoping to see some this next 3 day weekend!   :-) I love observing these birds of prey.  Just LOOK at that beak and those talons!  OUCH!  Wild Bird Wednesday for February 6, 2013.  To visit Wild Bird Wednesday and see other birds, please go to this link:   http://paying-ready-attention-gallery.blogspot.com/ 

9 comments:

  1. Keep an eye out on the Irrigation Pond at the Agri-Empire equipment yard and office. You can often see a Bald Eagle hanging around there on a pole. At least it was that way in the old days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful!
    Have a great day!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Great photos of this amazing bird. It is such a treat to see one, because I seldom get to..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shots. I am new at this and have captured many hawks but have not gotten a shot of an eagle yet.

    I have been told they are nesting in our area right now and I have been looking but no luck so far.

    You did a great job! I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Golden Eagles are HUGE...never could understand why they're called "Golden" since they're so dark...such a deep rich Hershey brown!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful photographic moments; I love the raptors too as much as I love the tiny birds

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea Golden Eagles are so dark in color! I think I saw one in 29 Palms a while back... I remember him well and thought to myself "that's the biggest raven I've ever seen!!" In hindsight, I'm pretty sure it was one of these guys (as you can tell, I'm not a birder!!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, awesome shots of the Golden Eagle. I would love to see this bird up close.

    ReplyDelete