Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014

Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014
This big guy crossed the highway, October 2014.

Thursday, February 14, 2013

My encounter with vultures~Nature's Notes~021413







I did a previous post about the vultures I encountered during my morning walk last weekend.  There actually were two of them~a pair.  I spotted one of them in a palo verde while out for my walk.  I knew it wasn't a crow~he was too big.  So, I approached, but he spread his wings and glided over to another tree, about 1/4 mile away.  I slowed down and approached that tree, only to discover another vulture there.  By the time I got close enough to take photos, they both had their wings out (see top photos) and were sunning themselves.  We had a frost the night before here in the desert, so I believe they were warming themselves.  There was a hawk in the top of the tree and it immediately took off as I approached, but the two vultures actually let me come fairly close before they, too, took off.  I just stood and snapped photos.  At one point one of them flew right above me before joining his mate.  The two of them then lazily circled and moved away.  On my way home, in my car, however, I spotted them about a mile down the road.  I was glad to see them.  There is a pair up in Deep Canyon, so this might be that pair, or they could just be passing through the desert.  Nature Notes for February 14, 2013.  To visit Nature Notes, please go to this link:   http://ramblingwoods.com/

2 comments:

  1. One day last summer we had a few perch in one of tallest trees...but Moon barked and barked until they left...good thin because I don't want them to roost in my yard!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love watching these guys in migration or doing circles over the pond. You got some great photos and I am happy to see someone else who appreciates them... Michelle

    ReplyDelete