Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Mockingbird~Nature's Notes~020713

We have a lot of mockingbirds here in the desert and we have a couple of families of them in our neighborhood.  Sometimes I think they are my missing scrub jay (the local Cooper's hawk got him about 3 weeks ago...sigh...), but, no, it's the mockingbirds having a tizzy fit!  I've seen them swoop down and attack my outdoor cats if they ventured too close to a nest or a young one.  I love their aerial flights and battles.  However, I don't have any photos of them.  They don't land long enough for a photo!  I know they enjoy the birdseed that I put out on my front fence, because I see a swirl of gray when they take off if I go out to investigate!  I found this fella up at the Santa Rosa mountains visitor center and he allowed me to take one photo of him before he, too, flew off in a huff and a puff! Isn't he a beauty?  I enjoy mockingbirds, but I really miss my scrub jay. Nature's Notes for February 7, 2013.   To visit Nature's Notes, please go to:   http://ramblingwoods.com/

2 comments:

  1. We raised a baby scrub jay many years ago. Surprisingly, it made it to adult hood. We would take it outside as it got bigger and leave its carrier on the table. It came back many times but one day it flew off to be wild, which is what we hoped for. It is the only baby bird we ever tried to raise that lived to adulthood. I am sorry to hear yours has disappeared. They sure are noisy and bossy - fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am sorry about your scrub jay. I love our jays and that would bother me... I have never seen a Mocker, but I think they are smart birds or maybe I am not remembering correctly.. Thank you for linking up this week with your two posts... Michelle

    ReplyDelete