The Dancer

The Dancer
Graceful dead tree up above Deep Canyon.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Vultures~Wild Bird Wednesday~021313




I was surprised to see a large bird in one of the palo verde trees along one of the dirt roads at the Desert Willow golf course Saturday morning.  I knew it wasn't a raven~~too big!  So, I crept closer.  The bird didn't move, so I zoomed in with my camera and yup~it was a vulture!  I don't often see vultures here in the desert.  I have seen them catching the thermals up in Deep Canyon, in fact, I saw a pair several years ago.  I do often see them in Anza, also floating on the thermals over large patches of agricultural land.  But, not here in the desert.  As I followed my find, he flew to another nearby tree where there was another vulture.  As he took off, I was able to follow him and observe his feet tucked into his body, and view his beautiful feathers.  Wow!  Isn't he beautiful?  Wild Bird Wednesday for February 13, 2013.  Oh, and I watched the two of them drift away, but I spotted them again on my way home!  I hope they made it up to Deep Canyon.   To visit Wild Bird Wednesday, please go to:  http://paying-ready-attention-gallery.blogspot.com/

8 comments:

  1. Great photos of the in-flight Vultures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The vultures are wonderful to watch in flight. Cool shots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great bird - I can remember seeing vultures in India - but we don't have them in Australia.

    I remember the ones I saw were huge!

    Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is very interesting ! Even more because I live in a country which is completely flat! The vulture is very impressive! mprssv!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to watch the large birds ride the thermals!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful shots of the vultures! What a nice find! I just want to thank you for all your visits to my blog and all the kind comments you have left!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could watch these big guys drift and soar for hours. They have a beauty of their own.
    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete