Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014

Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014
This big guy crossed the highway, October 2014.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Bishop Indian petroglyphs~Nature Notes~042111






Hubby and I spent the morning today taking photos of the Native American petroglyphs near Bishop, CA. Please do NOT ask me for directions...we found them by accident! We found them last night and went back this morning for more photos. I'm now hooked on finding more of them and I'm DETERMINED to do so!!!!!!!! They are just so fascinating. I have a book, "A Guide to Rock Art", which I bought on amazon.com and I'm busy reading it. These petroglyphs were carved into the limestone rock (unlike the modern graffiti). I love the designs of the petroglyphs and I can't wait to read about them and find out what they mean. Some of them were obvious designs...the rattlesnake, the turtle, the lizard, the corn, the lightning. But, others are more mysterious...the people look different than people...Isn't it intriguing? Nature Notes for April 21, 2011. Thank you for stopping by my blog! To view other Nature Notes, please stop by: http://ramblingwoods.com/

8 comments:

  1. Wow..you found them by accident? What a happy accident. Oh I would love to track those down. Please update as you find more information... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, the BLM and the Paiute Indians are VERY closed-mouthed about the locations of these petroglyphs and others in the Owens Valley. We only found these through my determination and hubby's navigation! You now have to check in with the BLM and then THEY will give you directions ( OR NOT!!!) to these sites. I checked into their Bishop office today and they did NOT even give me directions...just a general map and some sketchy ones....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw petroglyphs in Nevada (Hickison petroglyphs) and it was an amazing sight.
    Thank you for sharing your tour of those well-hidden ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. After your comment on my blog, I had to pop over here and see the petroglyphs. I'M JEALOUS!!!! Did you go out 5 Bridges Rd? I love the Owens Valley adn it seems you do to. So much to see there and I'm sure we will be back. Someday that gate will NOT be closed at Aspendell!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it not tagged or no arrows going in! What a serendipitous find. Maybe there is a message for you, lol. The photos are so beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did a Google search on something up in the Bishop area and your blog post was in the search results. Great photos!
    I know this place. After I read your post, for the last hour or so, I've been searching through my photo negatives trying to find photos and/or negatives from there and the other places in that area. I can't find them! About 8 years ago we lost (or should I say the movers "lost") several boxes of our things. One of them contained many years of photos and negatives. Are you familiar with "Desert Map and Aerial Photo" shop on Hwy 111 in Palm Desert? I think I bought my copy of the book you referenced there. I was also in there a couple of times while last week. It might be my favorite store ever. Great post! I guess I'm going to have dig around your blog more...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure if these were the ones which were vandalized, but several ones in this area were. How sad. It was about a year or two after we visited them.
    Pat, I'll have to stop in that store sometime. Yes, it is right on Highway 111...it's been here in town for years! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pat, that's too bad about your photos. I have boxes of Kodak slides out in the garage that my dad took years ago. I need to go out there sometime and sort through them all!

    ReplyDelete