Yesterday afternoon it was GORGEOUS here in the desert. A storm was moving through and it was one of those days that people write home about...high thunderheads, vivid blue sky, light wind...ahhhhhh! So, after school, I took my afternoon walk. I heard the calls of some ravens and saw several of them after something up ahead of me. Did you know a group of ravens is called an unkindness? They had killed a baby gopher and were busy pecking it apart. They didn't appreciate my intrusion (as I walked closer to them, they merely moved a few feet away), and they kept their eyes on me. Upon my return walk, they soared right above me and near me! I managed to take quite a few photos (some of which were too blurry), but here are some from yesterday. It was interesting to watch the ravens and listen to their calls.
I dedicate this blog to my father, who first put a camera in my hands when I was 12 and who took me to many of the places that I love today.
COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.
Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more
Saturday, April 9, 2011
An unkindness of ravens
Yesterday afternoon it was GORGEOUS here in the desert. A storm was moving through and it was one of those days that people write home about...high thunderheads, vivid blue sky, light wind...ahhhhhh! So, after school, I took my afternoon walk. I heard the calls of some ravens and saw several of them after something up ahead of me. Did you know a group of ravens is called an unkindness? They had killed a baby gopher and were busy pecking it apart. They didn't appreciate my intrusion (as I walked closer to them, they merely moved a few feet away), and they kept their eyes on me. Upon my return walk, they soared right above me and near me! I managed to take quite a few photos (some of which were too blurry), but here are some from yesterday. It was interesting to watch the ravens and listen to their calls.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love to talk to the Ravens. Didn't know about the "unkindness". Thought a group was called a "murder" but maybe that's crows.
ReplyDeleteGreat captures of them soaring so close to you.
they are huge. i did not know a group of them are called unkindness, but always, they have that fierce look, don't they?
ReplyDeleteWhat a fascinating series of photos... Ravens are such a big bird...
ReplyDeleteThere is a pair of ravens building their nest in a palm tree right next door. I saw one of them fly into it with a twig yesterday. Unfortunately, there is a mockingbird nest nearby and I fear that all the baby mockingbirds will end up as raven food if the parents are not vigilant!
ReplyDelete