I dedicate this blog to my father, who first put a camera in my hands when I was 12 and who took me to many of the places that I love today.
COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.
Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more
Wednesday, October 12, 2011
My scrub jay~Nature Notes~101311
One afternoon a couple of years ago, I saw a blue blur fly into my front yard. I had been feeding the birds out front for some time and he just appeared. He has now been in our neighborhood for over two years. He's quite bossy and LOUD, but I sure enjoy watching him. He's now calm enough to allow me to go out in my front yard and garden without flying off. He'll tweek his head and look at me and when he sees my car drive in the driveway each afternoon, he immediately appears. I notice that he takes a peanut and flies off to the neighbor's yard across the street. I often hear him chattering further down the street and even on the next block. He's quite a character and clown! Sometimes he disappears for a couple of weeks, but he always reappears (so far...). He SHOULD be up in the pinyon forests of Deep Canyon, where I see his relatives. Apparently he either got blown off the mountain or he chooses to stay here. He did disappear last Spring for a couple of weeks, apparently looking for a mate, but the only other birds his size around here are the mockingbirds. Honestly, if he weren't around, I'm not sure I would put as much food out for the birds in my yard. Nature Notes for October 13, 2011. To visit Nature Notes, please go to: http://ramblingwoods.com/
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
he's beautifully colored!
ReplyDeleteI like scrub jays...they certainly have personality. We successfully raised a baby jay many years ago and it would stand head to head with the cat and claim its share of the food. It went outside with us many times before finally flying off to take his place in the wild.
ReplyDeleteHe's a lovely bird. He probably stashes the peanut away, if he's anything like the jays around here - they are busy right now carrying five, six acorns in their crop and one more in their beak, hiding them for the winter.
ReplyDeleteCool - I need to learn the difference between Pinon Jay and Scrub Jay, since we have both!
ReplyDeleteWe used to have a scrub jay who hung around our house all time. If the back door was open he would come into our house. I was scared that he would freak out and fly into something, but he never did. We always had a bowl of peanuts (in the shell) sitting in our living room. He knew where to find them...
ReplyDeletesuch a handsome bird
ReplyDeleteJays are so smart and such characters that I love to watch them. It seems you have a friend there Cheryl Ann....Michelle
ReplyDelete