Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Monday, October 31, 2011

Santa Ana winds and the mountains



The Santa Ana winds were back Sunday.  Santa Anas are winds from the high desert which swoop down into the low desert and areas of Los Angeles.  Normally, our winds come from the ocean...moist and cool.  Santa Anas come dry, from the high desert and dry out everything in their path. Those of us who live in Southern California dread Santa Ana winds.  I'm a native Southern Californian myself and I shudder when they arrive...it means hot, dry air, restless kids and animals, and a general "off" feeling.  They stir up dust, mold, fungi, and cause allergies.  I've lived through too many fires during the Santa Anas and waves of crime, too.  Everybody is "on edge" during them.  So, when I noticed that the wind was blowing in the opposite direction on Sunday, I knew it was a Santa Ana wind.  I also noticed that the local fire station in Pinyon had its doors open, engines ready to roll.  Fortunately, a cold front from Canada is heading our way and temps will be dropping 30 degrees during the daytime later this week. 

3 comments:

  1. I was born and raised in So. Cal so I know what you mean about those winds. Hope the Canadian air cools things off for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those dry winds are nothing to enjoy, are they. My wife is from the San Bernardino area and we love going back now and then. Not when those dry winds are coming, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to get a little warm weather but the winds are nasty.

    ReplyDelete