The Dancer

The Dancer
Graceful dead tree up above Deep Canyon.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Gray fox sighting! and update


A couple of weeks ago, I got up very early and headed up the mountain about 7:30 a.m. (pre time change...). The road was deserted and I didn't see more than two cars coming down or going up. It was a clear morning and as I rounded one corner, a gray fox ran out in front of me. Fortunately I wasn't going very fast (it IS a mountain road, as you all know...) and I had my camera beside me, but he was gone in an instant and I was unable to get a photo of the animal. It's the first time I've seen a gray fox up the mountain. I have seen a bobcat once and several bighorn sheep grazing by the road. I was so excited to see him (her?). However, this morning, I drove up about 9:30 am. (daylight savings time) and to my horror, there beyond one corner, was a gray fox which had been hit by a car. OMG! I prayed that it was not "my" fox, but who knows? I felt so awful that I began to cry and cry. WHY CAN'T PEOPLE SLOW DOWN? As I started up the mountain, a car had swerved out into my lane to pass another one, which is illegal. I constantly see motorcycles zooming up and down the mountain road, oblivious to the beautiful scenery around them, intent only upon speeding and proving how "manly" they are. To me, the death of this beautiful creature is such a waste. I'm guessing that it was hit early this morning...sigh...I don't know what else to say. This is NOT my photo...I found it on another website. That's all for now. It's just too depressing to even think about this.

3 comments:

  1. Very sad! The idiot probably didn't even look back...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you are sad. I'm sad, too. Poor little thing.

    ReplyDelete