Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Around the ranch and horse story part 1



Some of you have asked about the horses and the ranch.  First of all, it isn't our ranch.  It's a 9 acre ranch up in our local mountains, at 4,000 feet elevation, where I board my horses.  It is owned by a wonderful couple, Cathy and Bill, who raise Peruvian Paso horses.  They are in the Rose Parade every year, so you can look for the Southern California Peruvian Paso group on January 1st.  I found Cathy through the Horse Trader, which is a magazine for horse people (and other interested ones) ...gosh...what?  4 years ago.  I had my horses up in Lancaster, which was 3 HOURS away from our home in the desert, up in the high desert.  I originally started with 1 horse, Sunni, who I adopted from United Pegasus, when they were in Hemet (they are now in Tehachipi).  I boarded him with a friend down here in the low desert.  Then, in September of 2006, my husband took our son with him on a vacation to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons while I was in school.  (Hmmmpppffffttttt!) So, while they were gone, I began cruising the Internet, looking at horse rescues.  I found Beauty and Gigondas on a so-called horse rescue (that's a WHOLE other story...) up in Washington state and adopted both of them.  Then, I had to get them to Southern California.  Fortunately, a wonderful couple did haul horses for a living and were familiar with the rescue, so $1,000 later, I had 2 more horses.  Unfortunately, my friend refused to board another 2 horses, (don't ask me why and no, we are no longer friends!), so I was left to scramble and find somewhere to put 3 horses!  There was a gal who also got a couple of horses from the same so-called rescue and she offered to board all 3 of mine.  BUT, she was 3 hours away!  I didn't know about the Horse Trader then, so I took up her offer and hubby and I spent almost a year driving up to Lancaster every other weekend.  She had a trainer and a couple of them were saddle broke, but that's as far as I went with them.  Hubby got "horse fever" too and found Cali and Scout on a BLM (Bureau of Land Management) online auction, bid on them, and we ended up with 2 mustangs and a total of 5 horses!  The Lancaster gal kept raising her board and finally, in frustration, I picked up an issue of the Horse Trader and found Cathy's ad for boarding and she was a LOT closer to home.  I called and asked to see her ranch and immediately fell in love.  She has a round pen, a large arena, individual corrals for the horses, a wash rack, and a tack room.  I found a gal to haul "the herd" from Lancaster to Anza.  I remember that day...she had a 5 horse trailer (thank goodness) and ALL the horses loaded except Scout.  But, Scout was calling to the other horses.  She just refused to be haltered.  Finally, the gal said in frustration, "I'm going to try ONCE MORE and if I can't get her haltered, we are LEAVING!"  Now, I'm always reluctant to split up my horses and I wasn't going to have ANY horse left behind, so finally Scout relented and off we went!  MOVING DAY!!!!  It sure is a lot easier having them all just 35 minutes away than 3 HOURS!!!!!  And, they receive wonderful care up in the mountains and occasionally they get snow in the winter!  Anyway, here are some photos of the ranch yesterday and the red leaves on a few of the maples.  It was a nice, clear, warm day and I drove up to my 6 bags of pellets for the herd and it took me an hour to unload it all!  I'll go back through my archives after I post here and post some more photos of the ranch.  It really is delightful!  It's much cooler up there in the summer and in winter, it's nice to see some snow! If you really wish to follow my horses, please go to my main horse blog, which is at:    http://deserthorses.blogspot.com

3 comments:

  1. Nice pics...did you get your camera fixed yet after the fall? How are you doing...everything o.k.? It sure is nice up in the mountains there. We enjoyed our trip up the other day. Thanks for the link to your horses, now I can see more pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i admire you and your dedication to these rescues! most folks wouldn't rescue horses, then pay to board them also. SO glad for you that you found such a great place to board them! i'm sure it makes a huge difference in your daily life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. TexWisGirl,
    It SURE does make a difference! I never worry about them.

    ReplyDelete