I dedicate this blog to my father, who first put a camera in my hands when I was 12 and who took me to many of the places that I love today.
COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.
Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more
Thursday, November 10, 2011
Blue jay~Nature Notes~111011
We heard him for a full day before he got close enough for a look. He was a blue jay and his territory was our cabin and the ones around it. I had some trail mix (unsalted), so I put some peanuts out for him and that was it. He pestered us all that afternoon and showed up the last morning we were there (bottom two photos). Yes, he was back first thing in the morning. It had snowed the previous night, so I went out and brushed the snow off the porch railing. He was very wary and if he saw me inside, off he went (see the second to the last shot!). We loved being entertained by him and I mashed up the rest of the nuts for him and left them scattered on the railing for him. He was quite DEMANDING, showing up and screaming to be fed! Are all blue jays so loud? We have a scrub jay who visits our yard at home and he is extremely loud! Nature Notes for November 10, 2011. I plan on getting up to see the horses tomorrow and Saturday. Unfortunately, Cali, my palomino mustang, colicked this week, but the vet came out, gave her some oil, and she is okay now. I'm anxious to see the horses tomorrow, although a Pacific storm is heading our way. To visit Nature Notes, please go to: http://ramblingwoods.com/
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I hope Cali will be much better soon.
ReplyDeleteBluejays do tend to be very loud. I enjoyed these shots.
Yes, all Jays are raucous. They belong to the Corvid family along with crows and ravens. The Stellar's wear that peaked head quite handsomely.
ReplyDeleteHope your horses are OK and that the weather only increases the photography not the hazards.
I can tell you that European jays are just as noisy, they warn other birds from intruders. You got some lovely shots of your bluejay.
ReplyDeleteAll the best for your horses!
Oh what a cute little fella. You got some good shots of him and I can see there is a difference between the Blue Jay and the Scrub Jay.
ReplyDeleteGreat shots. My blue jay visitors never hang around long enough for me to find out if they are noisy.
ReplyDeleteLOL..yes..Jays are very demanding and so smart..Mine remind me if I haven't put out the peanuts.. I hope Cali is better. My daughter just sent me a photo of a horse she is thinking of buying...I worry about her riding as my sister says that she doesn't have a good 'seat' and I worry about her falling on her head.. again....Michelle
ReplyDeleteYes! All jays are noisy and demanding! This one is a Stellar's jay, native to the mountains of the west. While they have the same silhouette as an Eastern blue jay, they do not have the same coloration. I am so glad you had fun feeding it! I miss seeing Stellar's jays!
ReplyDelete