COPYRIGHT

Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.

Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more

Monday, February 7, 2011

My First Award!


This is my newest blog and I received an award, "Stylish Blogger", from Gaelyn, at Geogypsy: http://geogypsy.blogspot.com/. Thank you so much, Gaelyn. This blog is my attempt to share my corner of the world and I hope I'm letting you at least peek at it! Between school, horses, our son's dog, and taking care of hubby, I have a full plate! But, getting out and enjoying Deep Canyon and the high desert and pinyon forests around it are ways for me to relax.

Okay...I'm supposed to share 7 things about myself so here goes. I haven't really opened up on this website and most of you don't really know me here, so here goes:

(1) I studied piano from the age of 6 until I went away to college. My godmother, who lived next door to me, was my piano teacher for many, many years and she was an instructor up at the Idyllwild School of Arts, in Idyllwild, CA.

(2) In addition to studying piano, I took ice skating lessons for many years. My dad was from Connecticut and he wanted me to be able to skate. However, since this soon competed with my piano lessons, my mother made me quit! Then, I took up clarinet so that I could march with my boyfriend in marching band, and she made me quit that, too! She DID, however, teach me to play her violin, which I couldn't play in marching band either...but I WAS the solo pianist in my high school orchestra and I got to play Handel's Messiah on the organ one year! :-)

(3) I've always loved horses and had a great-uncle who was a thoroughbred trainer. I grew up in Arcadia, CA, about a mile away from the Santa Anita race track and at our house, we could hear the track announcer and the roaring of the crowd. He used to get us into the stall area and he'd tell me which horses I could pet and which ones I had to stay away from. I fell in love with those beautiful animals and vowed that someday I would help rescue as many as I could. I donate to many horse rescues now, including TB Friends, Shiloh Rescue in Las Vegas, and others. I have 5 horses myself, now, ALL rescues!

(4) I met my husband in college when I literally came around a corner and bumped into him outside one of our classes! It was love at first sight for both of us! We were both political science majors and had nearly every class together, and from that first meeting, we've now been together nearly 39 years.

(5) These days, I relax by taking photographs. I LOVE to get out into nature, explore whatever area I'm in, and sometimes just sit and listen to the sounds or listen to the wind. I'm trying to learn more about animal tracks as I frequently observe them in snow or mud.

(6) I'm Swiss-Alsatian on my mom's side and English/Cuban/Spanish/Welsh and Norman on my dad's. Every year my Cuban/Spanish cousins get together from all over the world, and have a huge family picnic. I always seem to miss it, but one of my cousins has gone and there is still a Costales farm in Northern Spain, where that family line came from.

(7) I'm a natural blonde. I've always had long hair, except for one time when I got mad at my husband and had it all chopped off! Boy, did I regret that!


And, now it's time to nominate 5 other bloggers for this award! I'd like to pass it on to:


(1) Deb Bradford of http://giraffeheadtree.blogspot.com/ She has been an inspiration to me and she always stops by and leaves a comment! Thank you!

(2) Gary over at: http://vermilonriverwildlife.blogspot.com/ I enjoy reading about his corner of the world, which is so different that mine! All that snow....brrrrrr!!! And, he has a wonderful companion, Boomer!

(3) Photogal at: http://continuousshutter.blogspot.com// She and I both seem to be at about the same level of our photography and I enjoy seeing how she sees things and does them! Thank you for sharing your blog with me!

(4)KaHolly over at: http://kaholly.blogspot.com/ I LOVE seeing her colorful blog and I'm slowly reading through all of it! She has lots to share!

And, finally:

(5) Lisa, over at: http://www.lgordonphotography.com/ Thank you, Lisa, for allowing me to post photos which may not be technically perfect, but which have a special meaning to ME! Please do stop by her site and check it out! She hosts "The Creative Exchange", which, if you go to this site: http://www.lgordonphotography.com/p/creative-exchange.html explains that you should post a photo from the heart...maybe one that isn't technically perfect, but one that has an appeal to you as a creative artist. Thank you, Lisa, for giving me and others this opportunity! I cringe at some of the photos I take, and maybe they aren't in thirds, but I like them and I hope others do, too!

So, a big THANK YOU and (((HUG))) to everyone who has stopped by this blog to offer a comment, a thought, or just to say "hi". And, please DO visit the bloggers I've nominated and check out their blogs!
Now, what do you have to do if you've been nominated for this award?
The Stylish Blogger Award rules:
• First, thank and link back to the person who gave you this award (that's me!) • Second, share 7 things about yourself • Third, award 5 recently discovered great bloggers • Then, contact these bloggers and tell them they’ve won this award. That's it! Now, go out and tell us about yourself! I can't wait to learn more about you!
~~Cheryl Ann~~

8 comments:

  1. Cheryl Ann-
    Thank you so very much!
    You kindness and kind words are so much appreciated. Truly.

    lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You deserve recognition. So fun to learn more about you. I wanted to play the piano and trumpet when a kid, but Mom said no.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations. Love learning all the personal info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Cheryl Ann, I am truly honored that you would think of me for this award. It means a great deal to know you are enjoying my blog and that you are actually taking the time to read through it. Thank you. ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to you and to those who you awarded...

    ReplyDelete
  6. See what happens when you take a day off from blogging? Something nice happens! Thank you so much for the award, Cheryl Ann. I've been enjoying your blog so much since discovering it, and now know so much more about you! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete