Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Friday, February 11, 2011

Smoke~SkyWatch Friday 021011






We had sub-freezing temps down here in the desert last week. It was 17 degrees down in Thermal for a couple of nights, endangering crops such as bell peppers and potatoes, and setting a new record low. As I drove to school a couple of mornings, I noticed fields on fire (or so I thought). The smoke was driving over toward my school and soon everyone was coughing. I went in early the next morning and there it was again. According to the news, growers brought in bales of hay and lit them, in an attempt to save their crops. It didn't work and the crops were ruined, however. But, it made for some interesting photos. SkyWatch Friday for February 10, 2011.



2 comments:

  1. Nice photos!
    This reminds me of when the citrus growers used "smudge pots" to try and warm up their groves.

    ReplyDelete