The Dancer

The Dancer
Graceful dead tree up above Deep Canyon.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Winter wonderland~Nature Notes 022411
















For some of you, snow is a common winter occurance, but for those of us in the low desert (elevation 225 feet!), it is so uncommon that we flock to our local mountains every time there is snowfall. And, that's exactly what I did last weekend~I headed up Highway 74, along Deep Canyon to view the snow! I was fortunate that I left my house early in the morning because the road was pretty much deserted and I could stop and take photos. There were only a few other cars on the road that morning, although I did see some from Idyllwild coming down the road, covered with overnight snow. It was almost a completely different world, covered with the white stuff and I enjoyed seeing my world covered in snow! Nature Notes for February 24, 2011.

6 comments:

  1. Lovely photos! Although I see LOTS of snow every winter, I still get excited by a fresh snowfall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That first photo seems to indicate you got a lot!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the Sugarbush in the top shot; I used to have several of those plants at my old house. They were just like that a few times every winter, with those flower buds awaiting spring.

    How high up do you have to drive until you see some snow out there...4000'?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit I like seeing the white stuff once in a while, but usually from a warm distance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's interesting to see snow on the desert plants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too enjoy your world covered in snow. A bit of elevation makes such a lot of difference.

    Lovely to see the vegetation wearing festive caps.

    ReplyDelete