The Dancer

The Dancer
Graceful dead tree up above Deep Canyon.

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Peacock~Color Carnival 021311

This beautiful male peacock is one of the many peacocks at the Los Angeles County Arboretum in Arcadia, CA. I grew up a block away from the back entrance to the arboretum and, growing up, we had many peacocks in our neighborhood. I used to feed them in my parents' driveway. They lived in the area and would sleep in trees and on roofs at night. Sometimes their cries would be frightening, but I miss that sound now. Many ranches down here in the desert do have peacocks. They are excellent "guard dogs" and alert when a trespasser enters property!The males are very colorful and show their beautiful feathers to potential mates. Color Carnival for February 13, 2011.


6 comments:

  1. Everything about peacocks is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was pecked once by a peacock at a Bird Park and decided once is enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, they will peck! They will also chase small cats! But, I love them anyway! I wish I lived out in the country...I'd have 2 burros, some goats, a turkey, some chickens, and some peacocks, in addition to my 5 horses, 3 dogs, and 5 cats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These would certainly brighten up the neighbourhood!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE your perspective on this shot, Cheryl! SO pretty!

    ReplyDelete