COPYRIGHT

Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.

Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Bighorn sheep sighting~a whole herd~Our World Tuesday~052714


We were driving down Highway 74 yesterday after our weekend in the mountains with our grown children and their families and as I came around a corner, I noticed several cars pulled over to the side of the road (which isn't an easy thing due to the LACK of turnouts).  But, I was able to pull over, too, to investigate what people were pointing to and lo and behold, it was a whole HERD of bighorn sheep!  I counted 12 of them, but I had no idea how many more were on the other side of the hill and NOBODY was going over there to count them!  These are an endangered species.  One guy, without a camera, headed over toward them and I yelled at him, "Don't go near them!  These are an endangered species.  We have diseases (pneumonia) that can kill them.  If you go any further, I'm going to call a ranger!"  He glared at me, but backed off.

In 30 years of going up and down that mountain, this is the first time I've seen a whole herd of bighorn sheep.  There must have been more further down on the other side of the mountain, because they were alerting to something over there.  Fortunately, everybody else stayed where they were and took photos.  I was talking to another man ( a nice one) who also commented that this is the most he'd ever seen in these mountains.  I'm glad we got to see them.  Our daughter and son-in-law also saw the herd when they were coming down the mountain about 15 minutes before we did.  Our World Tuesday for May 27, 2014.  To visit OWT, please go to:   http://ourworldtuesdaymeme.blogspot.com/

8 comments:

  1. A beautiful picture - and what a view!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice find!! Boom, Bobbi and Gary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky sighting, eh. :)
    Nice pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A definite sign of good things to come!!!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have driven that route numerous times including twice last weekend, and although we always look for them we have never been lucky. This was a great sighting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great shots - adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It took me over 30 years to see this many. I've seen one or two over the years, but never a full herd.
    Cheryl Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic! I REALLY wish I would run into these guys more often. Very nice photos...

    ReplyDelete