COPYRIGHT

Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.

Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Double tragedy up at the horse ranch...

I didn't make it up to the horse ranch last weekend.  I was just too worn out.  It's a 45 minute drive each way, up a killer highway.  No, I'm not kidding.  It IS a killer highway.  There's at least 2-3 accidents on it a month.  It's a very narrow, curvy, two lane highway and a lot of IDIOTS drive on it from Palm Desert to San Diego.

So, I went up this morning, knowing that one of the ranch owner's pregnant mares had to be put down last week.  She was lying down and broke her leg.  The vet had to come out and euthanize her.  The foal was lost, too.

What I didn't know is that the momma to the little pinto colt was also lost.  I had no idea.  The owner didn't tell me, so when I got up there, and saw the baby alone, I asked her what happened.  Turns out the mother got a twisted intestine...that was it.  Same thing that happened to my beloved palomino mustang filly, Cali, in December of 2012.  Once twisted, only surgery can possibly save the horse, and it is a $10,000 surgery.  Neither of us has that kind of money, sadly...

Then she told me what Sunni did.  Sunni stayed with the little colt for 3 days.  He stayed right at the corral line with the little guy, acting as a babysitter, or protector.  The little colt is now very attached to Sunni (my gelding)...I took Sunni out today for some R&R down in the arena and the colt nickered to him the entire time!  I guess I'll have to rename him "Uncle Sunni".

So, it was a heartbreaking for Cathy up at the ranch.  Oh, and it was also her 65th birthday...what a sad way to remember it.


I thought I'd post these pics of the colt with his mom,  RIP.  He was her first foal.  He's doing fine...he gets a formula mixture and wet hay with some kind of foal food.  And, he has Sunni to watch over him.

3 comments:

  1. Good for Sunni and the colt, but, as you said, sad to losing the others....especially on her birthday...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that place needs to change it's name to 'Bad Luck Ranch'. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear that sad story. That is so sweet about Sunni coming to the rescue.

    ReplyDelete