Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Highway 74~Sunday Stills Challenge~051814

This is Highway 74, which is the mountain road I take from our desert home up to the horse ranch in our local mountains.  And, it IS a killer highway.  It's only 2 lanes (very narrow ones) and bicyclists are also on the road.  Additionally, there is at least one accident on it a week.  Either somebody is driving too fast and goes off its hairpin turns, or smashes into another car.  Often motorcyclists also have accidents on it.  They usually drive TDF (too damn fast).  I just pull over into one of the turnouts and let the car/motorcycle go by and pray for their safe journey.


This corner is actually one of the worst ones.  See the car in the top photo?  That's a completely blind corner.  I once had a car coming DOWN the mountain which crossed over the double line and was coming right at me!  And, I had nowhere to pull out and stop, so I slammed on my brakes and very nearly had a head-on collision.  Now, I always slow down and take that corner on the outermost corner.  If you click on the photos, you can enlarge them and see the switchbacks.  Yes, this is the road made infamous in the movie, "It's a Mad, Mad World".  I have friends and colleagues who refuse to ride up to the horses with me because of this road.  They just won't do it.  I'm so used to it now, but the first few times I drove it, I had white knuckles.  Sunday stills Challenge "Dangerous Things" for May 18, 2014.  To visit Sunday Stills, please go to:   http://sundaystills.wordpress.com/  Here are a couple more views of the highway:


HA!  I FOUND IT!  Here's a clip from the movie, "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World":

And, AL...this is for you!  I have sweaty hands just watching this!!!
A ride up Highway 74, from a motorcyclist's point of view!   :-)

Here's another one...did you see the blind curve?

It is also called the Palms to Pines Highway because it goes from the palm trees in the desert to the pine trees in Garner Valley.

4 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Looks a bit like the road up Haleakala on Maui. After reaching the summit I was sick to my stomach and my poor wife had to drive down. What a he man!

    Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmmmm interesting highway. Yes I live in Central Pa. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a little bit scary! We live at the other end of the 74. Near San Juan Capistrano and we NEVER take our RV that way. Even if it costs more miles, we go around.

    The Ortega highway part of it is also bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty country for such a scary road! We have a dangerous road here too, in western North Dakota. US Highway 85 from Belfield, ND to Watford City, ND. It is right in the middle of the Bakken oil play. The truck traffic on it is awful. Too much traffic for a two lane road. Fatal accidents weekly if not more often year around.

    ReplyDelete