Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014

Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014
This big guy crossed the highway, October 2014.

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Blowing sand

A huge Pacific storm has moved into California over the last 24 hours.  It will be a welcome relief for us.  This seems to be a warm storm, and snow is forecast only at 6,000 feet and above, so I'm not sure how much snow our local mountains will get.

It was sprinkling when I left for school yesterday morning and it sprinkled on and off all day.  It was raining during morning recess (OF COURSE!), but by lunch recess, the kids got to go outside.  It started up again in the afternoon and at one point, the kids and I could hear raindrops splattering against our sky light.  I kept the door open all afternoon to let cooler air into the classroom and we could see it raining.  It poured about 15 minutes before the end of the day, but when the kids left to go home, it stopped.  It started up a couple of times after that, during the night, and my two outdoor cats are pretty upset.  I rigged up a box with a towel for my 17 year old cat and I snuggled it right next to the door so he can stay dry.  I can't wait to see if our mountains got snow!  (It's 2:00 a.m.)...I had to get up because our German shepherd was whining to go outside...

Anyway, I took my camera with me to school yesterday because I thought I might get some nice photos on my way home, and I did.  I took the Washington Street exit because a side road there curves through some huge sand dunes that are on the border of the Coachella Valley Preserve.  It was so windy that dust and sand were being blown further down the freeway and I stopped to take some photos.  I took these with my Nikon D40.  I don't mind taking it to school, but I don't take my Canon...

1 comment:

  1. Glad you got some rain...and that cool breeze too!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete