Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014

Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014
This big guy crossed the highway, October 2014.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Palm Canyon ~Nature's Notes~030614

Since I hadn't been out to the Palm Springs Indian canyons since last fall, I decided to head out there Sunday.  Hubby was working and I didn't want to go see the horses because it had rained up there all weekend.  This was the same day I went out to Whitewater Canyon.  The Palm Springs Indian canyons, however, are at the end of Palm Canyon Drive.  You have to pay at an entry gate to get in, but they are SO worth it!  First is Andreas Canyon...then you continue on the road to the trading post and Murray and Palm Canyon.  This was the view looking out Palm Canyon.  If you click on it, you can see a pool of water in the middle.  These canyons had waterfalls and it was nice visiting them, but it was late in the day, and I was getting tired.  I did, however, buy a t-shirt showing all the different animal tracks of the canyons and when I wore it to school, the kids were fascinated reading all the different tracks!  Nature's Notes for March 6, 2014.  To visit Nature Notes, please go to:   http://ramblingwoods.com/

Palm Canyon is VERY different from Deep Canyon.  First, as you can see, it is FULL of palm trees.  Deep Canyon isn't.  Deep Canyon does have a couple of spots with trees up the canyon, but I haven't hiked over to them.  For the most part, Deep Canyon is dry most of the year, except for storms in the summer monsoon months.  Then, it can flood and it can flood BIG TIME!  I remember in 1976 when flood waters came down Deep Canyon and took out some of the buildings at the Living Desert Reserve.  Also, Palm Canyon is on Indian land.  Deep Canyon isn't (to my knowledge)...rather, it is mostly BLM land or national monument land.  Please correct me if I'm wrong about that...

4 comments:

  1. Hello Cheryl Ann...It is great to see you !!!!! I hope your year is going well in and out of the classroom. I love the look of this area...I do hope to visit CA one day...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Michelle. Actually, I'm counting the days until the END of this school year...new testing, 30 kids, 1 ipad...sigh...
    Cheryl Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Palm trees are beautiful. What a lovely place to visit. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These canyons are some of the jewels of the Palm Springs area.

    ReplyDelete