Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Sunday, March 2, 2014

I had a whilrwind of a day and I even fell off a log!

I had another whirlwind of a day today (hubby was at work again).  I've decided that I'm going to go to places I want to travel to whenever can.  I've FINALLY learned how to upload photos by myself (it was a real process with the new "shared" cloud drive).  I took 343 photos today and I was gone from 7:30 a.m. until 1:30 p.m.

I did the reverse of yesterday's trip:  out through the freeway back to Indian Canyon (yes, one car was still stuck there)...up to Cabazon, back to Whitewater Canyon (the road was open today), then back to see trains in Cabazon, turned around and went back through Palm Springs.  I stopped at Jensen's Market to pick up some salads for lunch, and then I headed out to the Indian canyons.

It was a wonderful day to be out and about.  When I saw the "CLOSED" sign at the Whitewater Preserve, my heart sank, but I figured I'd drive out there anyway and take some photos.  Once I saw the bulldozer heading away from the preserve, I knew the road was open.  There were some very deep ruts in the wash from all the water yesterday and even logs had been dragged downstream.  I stopped to take some photos and in order to get the photo I wanted, I walked out on a downed tree and WHOOPS!  While standing on it, taking a photo, I fell off!  KER PLUNK!  Down I went into the mud.  Fortunately, I saved my camera, but my jeans were muddy for the rest of the day.  Oh, well, at least nothing was broken, right?  I dusted myself off, put on a long sweater, and off I went...

The reserve was abuzz with people.  Some were heading out for hikes.  I walked the grounds and then headed up one of the hiking trails.  A screech in the air caught my attention.  It was a falcon!  I watched him soar up high and he dove behind the cliffs, only to return a few minutes later.  I only got one photo of the falcon, but it was worth just watching him.  I saw red-winged blackbirds, which I only rarely see.  I used to see them at the Colorado River, but they aren't in the desert, so I was pleased to see them at the reserve. It's always so peaceful up there!

I found a couple more trains to photograph, but they were both standing still, waiting for something?  Why would two trains, both traveling west, be at a standstill?  I didn't see another train coming...

Then, back on the freeway, driving through Palm Springs.  Actually, I cut off Highway 111 and drove through some of the neighborhoods.  There are some BEAUTIFUL neighborhoods up there!

By now, I was starving, so I drove to Jensen's Market and picked up two salads (chicken and coleslaw) and headed out to the Palm Springs Indian Canyons.  The normal admission price is $9.00, but, since I'm 62 now, I got in for $7.00!  Whoo, whoo!  Off I went, first to Andreas Canyon, then to Palm Canyon.  There was a LOT of running water and there was a waterfall at Palm Canyon.  Unfortunately, there were a lot of people there and I didn't want them in my photos, so I didn't stay long.  I did visit their trading post and picked up a SPF hat with a long flap in the back, to keep the sun off my neck, and a t-shirt.  I also bought some animal postcards for the kids at school.  By then, it was getting dark and cloudy and I was too tired to walk down into the canyon.  I'll save that for a morning visit sometime!

Here are some photos from today...
I love this tree.

This is the shot I wanted.  I had to stand on a fallen tree to get it...Then, I FELL!

OOPS!  Down I went!  No broken bones...just a bruised ego!

No comments:

Post a Comment