Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014

Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014
This big guy crossed the highway, October 2014.

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Spring Break FINALLY began...today!

After lounging around the house ALL DAY yesterday (in my pajamas), I was up & ready to go this morning by 8:00.  Hubby left for work and I was OUT the door, both cameras in hand.  It was a tad overcast with lots of jet trails overhead.

First, I headed up to the Santa Rosa mountains visitor center.  The center was still closed, but there were lots of cars in the parking lot.  LOTS of folks were out hiking!

Then, I headed up Highway 74 looking for wildflowers.  I never saw ANY going up, but I did spot a little bunch of skinny, scrawny lupines on my way back down.  Just not enough rain this year...sigh...

I made the loop through the campground at Pinyon Flats. It was about 1/3 full...a good sign.  A cheeky scrub jay was letting me know that he did NOT appreciate my presence!

I also drove through Garner Valley and took some photos of the trees there.  It's so quiet and relaxing up there!


Then off to the horses.  I had to buy 4 bags of pellets, which I like to give them in addition to their daily dose of alfalfa.  What did Aristotle say?  "NOTHING in excess."  I like to balance the alfalfa with Timothy pellets and Bermuda grass pellets.

AND, GUESS WHAT?  There was a foal across from Quad and Sunny and next to Scout's corral!  He was actually just hours-old.  Apparently he scooted UNDER the wire in his corral and went looking for breakfast with the ranch stallion!  Good thing that stallion is very calm!  The ranch owner spotted something brown and white in the corral with their stallion and it was the BABY!  ACK!  Little bugger!  He IS adorable and he is also ALL LEGS!  They weren't even sure the momma was pregnant...she never bagged up, she never waxed up...SURPRISE!  :-)

Then, home to feed the birds (again) and run some errands.  Now for some quiet time!


1 comment:

  1. oh, that tiny little rascal! yikes!

    thank you for the very nice comment you left today on continuing the fence link-up! really appreciate the support and hoping to see you regularly! :)

    ReplyDelete