I used to swing by one of my favorite places up in Garner Valley quite often to drive out and look for red-tailed hawks. I don't do that anymore. And, I'll tell you why...
A few years ago, hubby and I were out there together one Saturday morning. The local gun club was out shooting in a canyon a little bit away. We could hear them. We have NEVER feared them. They are responsible citizens. However, they have now been banned from shooting in this area, due to the fire danger because of our current drought conditions.
I did drive partway out there this past weekend and I could hear gunshots, so I turned around. I was traveling alone.
So, anyway, hubby and I were driving along in his car this one morning and we stopped to take photos. The gun club was a ways away. A lone male approached our car and asked if we were part of that group. I was on the driver's side...hubby was at the back of the car. YES, he (hubby) DID have his gun in the back (magazine clip in the front). I told the guy, "No, we're just photographers." I noticed hubby's body language. He was tense. He was easing toward the back of the car. Over the years, I've learned to trust his instincts and SOMETHING didn't set right with him about this guy.
I'm only telling you this to protect yourself (yourselves). Look, we ALL go out by ourselves or with a loved one. IF you get bad vibes about a person, TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS!
Anyway, hubby motioned for me to get BACK in the car with his eyes, so I did. I noticed that he gathered himself up big and tall and confronted the guy saying, "We're heading over to the group now."
WFT? Excuse me?
It was only later that he told me he had a really bad vibe about the guy. We got outta there as quickly as we could. Later, in the newspaper, we read about...YES...a SERIAL KILLER who was targeting couples in the Inland Empire and California. OMG! Was that him? Or, was he an innocent person just asking a question? We'll never know. But, I can say, that encounter sure did change my habits!
Now, I'm usually the one to pick up negative energy and I didn't get any from the guy, but obviously hubby did. So, I'm telling you...PLEASE be aware of the people in your surroundings. I'd like to think that hubby confronted this fella and possibly saved our lives. And, yes, the killer WAS in our area at that time.
No joke. This story is REAL. I'm a lot more careful now and I don't drive off by myself any more. And, yes, I do know how to shoot a gun. Both my dad and hubby taught me and we've taught our kids.
Do we carry a gun with us now? You betcha. And, yes, hubby had his with him that day, not that it would have done us any good...just saying. Please, folks, be careful!
Al, over at Travels with the Bayfield Bunch, brought up this subject a couple of days ago. You can go HERE http://thebayfieldbunch.com/2014/03/we-had-us-bit-of-pheebe-emergency-this.html to read his thoughts.
OH my gosh! Scary business! We have a gun in our motorhome, in a cabinet. What good would it do in a cabinet? Glad you lived to tell the story.
ReplyDeleteYou really do have to be "street smart" even if there aren't any streets around. As you know, we are away from home about half the time in our RV. A lot of that time being spent near our southern border. We always travel with at least gun.
ReplyDelete@ Nan Talley- your comment made me chuckle out loud because my main weapon is also in a cabinet...
Like the day I was hiking alone and being followed by someone in a black SUV...trust instincts...always...give hubs a hug for that!!!!...:)JP
ReplyDelete